SOUTH INDIAN UNIT
AT FATHER MULLER MEDICAL COLLEGE
- To impart and empower health care professionals in FMCI on bioethical principles
- To collaborate and extend facilitation of Bioethical concepts to medical school across South India.
- To act in concert with Asia Pacific network and UNESCO Bioethics Chair in implementing relevant appropriate projects and programs.
- Aid ‘Human values’ education in society through well meaning awareness programs.
- Referal and nodal centre for ethical viewpoints.
PROPOSED ACTIVITY FRAMEWORK
- Creating a Bioethics Bulletin – quarterly / dedicated section in Muller journal
- Dissermination of information on Bioethics and in particular UNESCO publications on Bioethics
- Creating Web database and permit e-discussion
Education and Training
- Developing and implementing bioethics subjects in the curriculum of the various courses at FMMC
- Developing specialized courses in Eco Bioethics for medical, scientists and allied health professionals
- Having regional, International Conferences, Congresses and Courses in Bioethics
- Preparing and dissemination of e-learning material
- Organizing symposia and workshops at various locations
- Translation of Bioethics educational material in vernacular.
- Assisting in grant applications for funded research
- Preparing data base for Bioethics research
- Developing protocols for carrying out research in Bioethics
- Supporting the submission of manuscripts for publication in Journals
- Baliga MS, Palatty PL, Thaliath A, Saldanha E, David MC (2015). Attitude of medical undergraduate students’ in treating homeless individuals and bank executives: a comparative study. Global Bioethics Enquiry. 1(2): 22-29.
- Palatty PL, Colin MD, George T, Jimmy R, Mathai R, Saldanha E, Baliga MS (2015). Movie as a teaching-learning method for medical ethics: an Investigational study with undergraduate medical student. Global Bioethics Enquiry. 1(3):61-68.
- Jakribettu RP, Palliyan RA, Palatty PL, Kamble P, D’Souza S, Suresh S, Kallinga P, Boloor R and Baliga MS. White coat, a symbol of pride for healthcare students: a preliminary observation. Global Bioethics Enquiry. IN PRESS
- Palatty PL, D’Cunha P, Colin MD, Soans KM, Bhat BPR, Gunasheela D, Baliga MS. Opinion on contentious issues in Obstetrics: comparison between Obstetricians and novice undergraduate students in Mangalore, India. Global Bioethics Enquiry. Communicated
Collaboration and Leadership
- nstilling and stimulating the awareness of Bioethics and its discourse among educational institutions
- Seek to establish interdisciplinary network with interest and working in Bioethics and Human rights areas.
- Seek to take the lead role and represent the Bioethics and Human rights at the Government and Non-Government level in South India
UPDATE ON BIOETHICS
Report on World Bioethics Day 2018
The Bioethics Unit of FMCI, UNESCO Chair in Bioethics (Haifa) celebrated the World Bioethics Day on 19 th October 2018 at Decennial Memorial Hall, FMMC.
The Bioethics Unit of FMCI, UNESCO Chair in Bioethics (Haifa) celebrated the World Bioethics Day on 19 th October 2018 at Decennial Memorial Hall, FMMC. Dr. Nagesh KR, Head of the Bioethics Unit welcomed the gathering. Dr. Vina Vaswani, Director, Centre for Ethics, Yenepoya University was the Chief Guest. Rev Fr Richard Aloysius Coelho, Director of FMCI presided over the function. Rev Fr Rudolph Ravi D’sa, Administrator of FMMCH, Rev Fr Ajith B Menezes, Administrator of FMMC, Dr. Padmaja Udaykumar, Vice-dean of FMMC, faculty members and students were present during the program.
In order to celebrate this program, the Bioethics Unit along with the Student’s wing conducted competitions in Photography, Poster, Pencil sketching, Update and Movie making. The winners of the competitions were honoured during the programme. Dr. Simtha Bhat, Professor of Medicine and Member of Bioethics Unit was honoured with ‘Active Bioethics Member’. Dr. Suarab Kumar, Member of Bioethics Unit delivered the vote of thanks.
Following the formal programme, Dr. Vina Vaswani delivered a guest lecture on the topic of “Solidarity and cooperation” to the audience with suitable examples for its relevance to the health care.
The Student’s Wing of the Bioethics Unit of FMCI, UNESCO Chair in Bioethics (Haifa) conducted the Nishbad Guru for Batch-2018 MBBS students on 27th August 2018 at Dissection Hall of Anatomy department.
The program began at 10:30 AM, after the students of MBBS Batch-2018 assembled at the dissection hall and they were handed over a candle. The program began with a welcome address and briefing relevance of the program by Ms. Sweedyl Chrisyl Fernandes, the President of the Student’s Wing of Bioethics, followed by lighting the candle by Dr. Prakash Shetty, HOD of Anatomy. After all the students light their candles, scripture reading from the three holy books was solemnly read. Then, Dr. Prakash Shetty briefed the audience about respecting the dead bodies during their academics. This program culminated at 10.45 AM.
Dr. Nagesh KR, Head of Bioethics unit, Dr. Madona Joseph, HOD of Forensic Medicine of FMHMC, and other faculty members of Anatomy department witnessed this solemn occasion.
The following members of the Student’s Wing of Bioethics Unit Organized this event: Ms. Sweedyl Chrisyl Fernandes, Ms. Swathi Kulkarni, Ms. Sarah Marianne Savina Joseph, Mr. Abhishekh Sharma, Mr. Safwan.
Report on Kartavya Bhari Vastra Dharan
(White Coat Ceremony)
The Student’s Wing of the Bioethics Unit of FMCI, UNESCO Chair in Bioethics (Haifa) conducted the White Coat Ceremony for Batch-2018 MBBS students on 27 th August 2018 at LH-1 of MBBS ‘B’ block.
The Batch-2018 students were assembled in the venue at 8:30 AM. Dr. Nagesh KR, Head of the Bioethics Unit welcomed the gathering and stressed upon the importance of this ceremony. Then the President of the Student’s Wing of Bioethics, Ms. Sweedyl Chrisyl Fernandes called upon the students to ‘don the apparel of responsibility - the white coat’ and was followed by the pledge. After the pledge Rev. Fr. Ajith Menezes, Administrator of FMMC enlightened the students on the appropriate use of the apron. The function was concluded with vote of thanks at 8:45 AM by Ms. Swathi Kulkarni, Secretory of Student’s Wing of Bioethics Unit.
Dr. Padmaja Udaykumar, Vice Dean of FMMC, Dr. Prakash Shetty, HOD of Anatomy, Dr. Jnaneshwar Shenoy, HOD of Physiology, and Dr. Malathi M, HOD of Biochemistry were witnessed the solemn function. The following members of the Student’s Wing of Bioethics Unit Organized this event: Ms. Sweedyl Chrisyl Fernandes, Ms. Swathi Kulkarni, Ms. Sarah Marianne Savina Joseph, Mr. Abhishekh Sharma, Mr. Safwan.