Father Muller School of Nursing the first educational unit started by Father Muller Charitable Institutions in 1959 is approaching its Diamond Jubilee year. It has been privileged to reach this milestone by the Grace of God. The management of Father Muller Charitable Institutions felt the need to start a nursing school to educate and prepare the dedicated young women for humanitarian service in hospitals and communities or where ever they are called upon to serve ailing humanity.
After a long and untiring effort by two great persons Rev.Fr Marian Fernandes then the Director, FMCI, and Rev. Sr Maria Theresa Fernandes, the founder principal, FMSON, permission was granted in 1959 to start the school of Nursing. As for the teaching staff, Sr Maria Theresa, who had all the qualities of a born teacher served as sister tutor. Dr. P.Venket Rao, the chief Medical Officer of Father Muller Hospital and Dr. V.V. Mody, the chief physician, willingly offered their services. Thus by the co-operative effort of the staff and management of Father Muller Hospital, the school of nursing started on the 16 th July 1959.
It was a significant day for Father Muller Hospital. The little group of 12 students gathered at St. Joseph’s Chapel in invoke God’s Blessings on this new venture. Fr Marian Fernandes, the Director, invited the novices into the nursing service with the exhortation:”Remain Ever Faithful in the spirit of service of Fr Augustus Muller. This initiation ceremony is performed every year even today, when a fresh batch of students come in and the words “Ever Faithful” are part of the school crest.